At 58 South Molton Street, we firmly believe in a 360° approach to wellbeing, and setting yourself up for the day with a healthy breakfast is a great place to start. Breakfast is experiencing a bit of a moment in London, with porridge cafes, breakfast bars and even eateries devoted to eggs popping up all across the city.
With the growing trend towards starting the day right, and even looking forward to setting that alarm a little earlier to enjoy a nutritious meal, we believe that investing in good quality ingredients makes for an even more satisfying start. We love browsing farmers markets in search of the best of British seasonal produce, ethically grown and sustainably sourced.
Our resident nutritionist, Anqelique Panagos, has created this delicious and gluten free porridge using one of natures super-grains, Quinoa. Packed full of plant protein, it contains all nine essential amino acids and is a slow digestible carbohydrate, making it a good low GI option.
Whether you make time to cook on the stovetop or quickly combine in the microwave, this makes a perfect dairy, gluten and refined sugar free breakfast guaranteed to keep you satisfied until lunch.
Ingredients (serves 2):
1 cup quinoa
2 cups coconut milk
2tbs ground flax seeds
½ cup blueberries
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and nutmeg
8 raw almonds, roughly chopped
1 tbsp almond butter
1 teaspoon organic desiccated coconut
Optional: add vanilla essence or vanilla pod while cooking
On the stove:
1. Heat the quinoa and coconut milk in a saucepan over a medium heat. Slowly bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
2. Add the almond butter, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Divide porridge into two serving bowls.
5. Sprinkle over chopped almonds, blueberries and coconut.
In the Microwave:
1. Combine quinoa, coconut milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut and almond butter in a microwave-proof bowl.
2. Heat on high for 1 minute.
3. Stir porridge and cook for a further 1 minute, or until milk is almost absorbed a creamy consistency is reached.
4. Remove from microwave.
5. Drizzle with extra milk if desired.
6. Top with almonds and blueberries or the favourite toppings of your choice.